What's on in London in October?
- Have fun with the kids at top attractions this October-half-term.
- Join in the fun with Halloween celebrations across the city
- Don't miss the Dark Arts at Warner Bros. Studio Tour - The Making of Harry Potter.
British schools break up for a October half-term this month, so look out for special family activities at many London attractions. While Halloween ensures the month ends with a spooky feel with plenty of scary events and activities – see below for ideas.
London becomes a little colder in October as autumn splashes the city’s parks and gardens with a riot of autumnal colours, changing the vivid greens to warm coppers, golds and russet reds. Take a trip to Kew Gardens, Richmond Park, or other major parks to bask in the beautiful display of colours.
Unmissable events in October
- Make memories in London during October half-term: Find fun events and family-friendly activities at popular London attractions. TBC
- Celebrate black culture and history at Black History Month: Enjoy free events, exhibitions, music and more throughout October.
- Immersive yourself in the cultural diversity of London at Diwali, the festival of lights: Experience exciting performances and cultural activities in Trafalgar Square. TBC
- Take part in the Royal Parks Half Marathon: Run for great causes in the leafy surrounds of London's beautiful parks. TBC
- Attend the Southbank Centre's London Literature Festival: See prestigious authors, rising literary stars and inspiring speakers. TBC
- Tempt your taste buds during the month-long London Restaurant Festival: Experience London's top restaurants, meet celebrity chefs and enjoy special one-off menus and food-themed events. TBC
- Toast the return of London Cocktail Week: Sip on classic and new mixes at the world's largest cocktail festival, with events, discounts and tastings across the city. TBC
- Or raise your stein at a London Oktoberfest: Celebrate Bavarian-style with live music, authentic German food and of course, beer at a number of venues across the city. Select dates in Oct
Top October activities in London
- See many of London's top attractions in one go with a sightseeing pass: The London Pass and the Go City London Explorer Pass allow you to visit multiple spots and save money.
- Discover the Dark Arts at Warner Bros. Studio Tour - The Making of Harry Potter: Go behind the scenes of the iconic Harry Potter films - but watch out for the Death Eaters...
- See the city sparkle on a London by night open top bus tour: Admire London landmarks and the picturesque Illuminated River.
- Or take to the Thames on a river cruise: Whether you explore on a one day roamer or whizz along the river on a speedboat tour.
- Enjoy thrilling rides and immersive entertainment at a London Theme Park: Join the fright nights at Thorpe Park or have a day of family fun at Legoland Windsor.
- Take on the UK's fastest Indoor Go-Karting track: Go against your friends in the Capital Karts' Grand Prix and see if you can make it to the top of the podium.
- Go on an aerial adventure at Gripped London: Enjoy sky-high views on the high rope courses, speed through the trees on the zip lines and bounce your way through the treetop nets.
- Or reach new heights at the Cutty Sark Rig Climb Experience: Make your way up the ship's ratlines where you'll climb the rigging to enjoy iconic views of London from the top platform.
- Catch a hilarious performance at the Top Secret Comedy Club: From veteran comedians to up and coming artists, enjoy a night of laughs at this popular comedy club in London.
- Get your fill on a foodie walking tour of London: Sample top British cuisine in Borough Market Food Tour or explore iconic street food from London's East End.
- Join the Cassidy Gang as you take on the Alcotraz Immersive Prison Cocktail Experience: Can you smuggle your booze past the warden to enjoy bespoke cocktails with your new inmates?
- Hone your skills and learn from the very best at a masterclass: From immersive cocktail making at Ramsay's Bread Street Kitchen* to a sushi and sake Masterclass at Buddha-Bar*.
- Beat the cold with a relaxing spa day: Treat yourself or a loved one to a spot of pampering as the cold sets in.
Halloween in London
- Plan a frighteningly good Halloween in London: Enjoy themed events, family activities, tours and more of the best things to do in London this Halloween.
- Visit one of London's most eerie museums: Explore London's horrid history at museums such as the Clink Prison Museum and the Jack the Ripper Museum.
- Take on an immersive experience: Why not test your detective skills at Sherlock: The Official Live Game or take on aliens at Jeff Wayne's The War of the Worlds.
- Go on a hair-raising walking tour to some of the city's most ominous neighbourhoods: Hear tales of the demon barber on a Sweeney Todd Walking Tour* or discover London's most haunted pubs*.
- Visit the UK's scariest attraction this Halloween at The London Bridge Experience: Meet creepy characters from Britain's past, from Jack the Ripper to The Keeper of Heads.
- Immerse yourself in the world of The Gunpowder Plot: Join Guy Fawkes and his co-conspirators as they plot to assassinate King James I.
- Venture out of London on a Murder Mystery Lunch on Belmond British Pullman*: Delight in five-course gourmet lunch before solving the clues to a deadly romance aboard the train, interact with the suspects as you try to figure out who the culprit is.
- Indulge at an unusual afternoon tea: Cast spells to retrieve your treats at Wands and Wizard Emporium or feast on a Sci-Fi Afternoon Tea at The Ampersand Hotel*.
- Head to The Cauldron for a London Potion Making experience: Cast your spells using your magic wand where you'll brew two molecular cocktails.
Check back nearer the time for more Halloween events and activities in London.
London Theatre in October
- Be dazzled by the show-stopping songs and technical wizardry of Wicked the musical at the Apollo Victoria: Witness the untold story of the witches in the Wizard of Oz.
- See the magical powers of Matilda at the Cambridge Theatre: Laugh out loud as the little girl from Roald Dahl's beloved book teaches the grown-ups a lesson.
- Attend a show at the iconic Shakespeare's Globe Theatre: See impressive performances of classics such as Much Ado About Nothing and King Henry VIII.
- Treat the kids to these top musicals: Sing along with the little ones as you watch your favourite shows on stage.
London exhibitions in October
- Immersive yourself with famous works of art at Frameless: See famous paintings by artists such as Van Gogh, Monet and Cezanne brought to life at this immersive art gallery.
- Don't miss Van Gogh: Poets and Lovers at the National Gallery: This once-in-a-century exhibition showcases the world-famous artist's most celebrated work, from 'Sunflowers' (1888) to Van Gogh's Chair' (1889).
- Visit Expressionists: Kandinsky, Munter and The Blue Rider at Tate Britain: Discover the groundbreaking work of the talented group of artists, whose friendship produced some of the world's best paintings, sculptures and photography. 25 Apr-20 Oct
- Explore Discover Constable and The Hay Wain at the National Gallery: See the artist's iconic depiction of the rural British countryside that has influenced everyone from fellow artists to activists. Opens 17 Oct
- Venture to the heart of London to see Michael Craig-Martin at the Royal Academy of Arts: A key figure in British conceptual art, see his largest exhibition in the UK to date with sculptures, installation, painting, drawing and print. Until 10 Dec
- Discover Women Artists in Britain 1520-1920 at Tate Britain: Challenging what it meant to be a woman of the time, see the work of female creatives that dismantled stereotypes. 16 May-13 Oct
Check back nearer the time for more exhibitions in London in October.