What's on in December in London?
- Celebrate Christmas in London with pop-up ice rinks, buzzing festive markets and seasonal activities.
- See London's famous festive displays on a special Christmas lights bus tour at night.
- Don't miss top London December events including Hogwarts in the Snow, sparkling Christmas at Kew, and Winter Wonderland.
- Watch Christmas pantos and unmissable London shows in December.
- Plan ahead to welcome the arrival of 2025 during London New Year's Eve celebrations.
- Discover what's happening in London this weekend for some last minute inspiration.
Shop for handmade gifts and festive food at a charming Christmas market; go ice skating on one of the stunning outdoor ice rinks that pop up across the capital; enjoy carols and concerts accompanied by mulled wine and mince pies.
Looking for things to do between Christmas and New Year? Check out the top things to do in London during Twixmas.
Unmissable events in December
- Christmas at Kew: Follow a glittering trail of lights, music and colours around the famous botanic gardens after dark. Don't miss the spectacular
- Winter Wonderland: Experience Hyde Park transformed into an extravagant winter spectacle filled with fairground rides, ice skating, charming Christmas markets and fun family shows. TBC Celebrate the festive season at
- Whisk the family away on a magical adventure at the Kingdom of Winter at ExCel London: An indoor festive experience that has everything from a winter-themed circus, ice skating and an alpine-style Christmas market. TBC
- Visit the London Zoo for their Christmas takeover (included in standard entry): Last year visitors could follow the Christmas Sleigh Trail, send a letter to Santa or meet the big man himself. TBC
- Join The Postal Museum's immersive Christmas celebrations (included in standard entry): In 2023 visitors discovered the first ever Christmas card and ride the festive Mail Rail. TBC
- Celebrate Christmas at Shreks Adventure! London (included in standard entry): Swap the North Pole for the Swamp at this fun family immersive experience. TBC
- Venture to the beautiful Hampstead Heath for Christmas at Kenwood: The dazzling light trail, full of colour and sparkle, is not to be missed. TBC
- Head to Hyde Park's Serpentine for the Peter Pan Cup: A Christmas Day tradition since 1864, watch as swimmers race in the freezing lake. 25 Dec
- Make the most of London's outdoor ice rinks: Go ice skating on one of the stunning ice rinks that pop up across the capital.
Check back closer to the time for more amazing events in December.
Magical ways to spend Christmas in London
Christmas Day and Boxing Day (25 and 26 December) are both bank holidays (public holidays) in London, with reduced opening times and transport service. But there are still plenty of things to do during this festive period:
- Book a Christmas tour: Explore the city during the festive season or enjoy a day trip to historic sites such as Stonehenge, Canterbury or Bath.
- Be dazzled by the Christmas Lights London by Night bus tour: See iconic London landmarks sparkle on a special guided tour. Nov-Jan
- Attend a magical Christmas carol concert: Hear classic songs by the world-renowned choirs or have fun at a Christmas Carol Singalong at the Royal Festival Hall.
- Treat yourself to a luxury experience: Raise a glass of champagne as you enjoy a luxury spa day or a unique experience in London.
- Celebrate at a top London restaurant: Book in advance to get a seat at your favourite restaurant for a festive feast.
- Shop for great deals during the winter sales: Find top discounts on fashion, electronics and more.
- Find exciting things to do on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day in London: Book tours, go ice skating and find fun events.
December shows in London
- See London's top Christmas shows and pantomimes: From classic Dickensian tales to hilarious festive comedies and slapstick pantos.
- Take the whole family to a memorable London musical: Sing along to award-winning shows in London's West End.
- Discover the best London shows for kids: Exciting plays and child-friendly musicals await including The Gruffalo and Stick Man.
- Join Buddy on his adventure across New York at ELF The Musical: The beloved film takes to the West End for a second run this Christmas.
- See the dazzling festive favourite The Nutcracker by the English National Ballet: Follow Clara's magical adventure this Christmas Eve.
- See an enchanting performance at St Mary Le Strand Church: See everything from candlelight concerts, to festive orchestra renditions of popular Christmas songs.
Check back nearer the time for theatre shows happening in the capital in December 2024.
Best activities and immersive experiences
Discover some of London's top winter activities, or escape the cold with some unique indoor experiences.
- See the city sparkle at Christmas with a London Eye Champagne Experience: Admire the views as you sip on a glass of chilled Pommery Brut Royal Champagne.
- Or reach new heights with London's new glass elevator at Lift 109: See the city from above, and join in with seasonal events in this unique space.
- Live like an outlaw in the Wild West at the Moonshine Saloon Immersive Theatre and Cocktail Experience: Play some dice, see the Moonshine Distillery and avoid the fearsome Sheriff.
- Take on a London treasure hunt at The Secret City: This urban adventure will have you discovering endless hidden gems and the city's best secrets.
- Sample fantastic tipples at a Beer Masterclass and Meal at a Brewhouse and Kitchen*: Perfect your brewing and tasting skills as you learn about all types of beer.
- Check out the city's best exhibitions: From the immersive works of renowned artists at Frameless to the impressive paintings of Frans Hals on display at the National Gallery.
Top London tours and day trips this winter
From brisk walking tours that uncover hidden corners of the city to festive adventures out of London, join one of London's best tours and day trips this winter.
- Have fun with all the family on a Paddington Bear Walking Tour: Learn all about London's lovable marmalade-eating bear.
- Hope on a bike and discover hidden gems on a Secret London Bike Tour: Make your way along the river and take in top sights.
- Head to Greenwich for a Film and TV Location Tour of the Old Royal Naval College: From Pirates of the Caribbean to Thor: The Dark World.
- Check out London's top sporting venues: Get a guided tour of the home of Rugby at Twickenham Stadium, or take on The Dare Skywalk at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium.
- Enjoy delicious bites on a Borough Market Food Tour: The perfect way to explore the city on colder days, enjoying iconic, warming British dishes and beverages.
- Pick up a unique gift on a Christmas Market Day Trip: Head to one of two iconic cities that come alive at Christmastime, the beautiful Bath and historic York.
- Wander Scotland's most charming city on a day trip to Edinburgh from London: Visit quaint bookshops, sample the finest whisky and explore the city's majestic Edinburgh Castle.
- Explore iconic landmarks and Christmas markets on a day trip to Paris: See the city of lights at its most magical time of year.
Fun London winter festivals
- Shop till you drop during Festive Fayre at Hampton Court Palace: Indulge in warming treats and enjoy entertainment with a seasonal twist. TBC
- Step into the Southbank Centre Winter Festival: Enjoy some festive family fun on the bank of the Thames, with jolly musical and twinkling markets. TBC
- Check out Greenwich Market: Browse wooden stalls for stocking fillers and tick off your Christmas list. TBC
- Venture to Kingston Christmas Market: Find unique Christmas gifts in the picturesque town's Ancient Market Place. TBC
- Head to King's Cross Canopy Market: Artisan festive treats and handmade craft await at this charming market. TBC
Discover more of London's charming Christmas markets.
Celebrate New Year's Eve in London
- Enjoy a New Year's Eve Dinner and Thames Cruise with Fireworks: Celebrate in style with a three-course meal, live entertainment and an unrivalled view of the dazzling fireworks display.
- Raise a glass to the New Year with a Christmas afternoon tea: Sample sweet and savoury treats with a glass of bubbles.
- Catch a show on London's West End: See top musicals and more.
Find all the best ways to welcome 2024 in London: see top shows, enjoy wintry activities and seek out celebratory dining spots.
For more things to do in December in London, take a look at this events calendar and guide to what's on in London, find the best London theatre shows or look at these best things to do this winter in the capital.
WEATHER: For average seasonal temperatures and rainfall, see this London weather page.