What is the Post Office?
Whenever you want to send a postcard or parcel, you will nearly always go to the Post Office to do it. The Post Office’s primary function is as the customer service facility of the UK’s national postal system. The Post Office is a trusted British institution with more than 11,500 branches nationwide.
What services can I find at the Post Office?
At the Post Office you can:
- Post letters, postcards and parcels within the UK and abroad
- Buy British currency at the Bureau de Change
- Transfer money abroad
- Exchange foreign currency
- Buy travel insurance
- Buy National Express tickets
- Book airport parking
- Get international driving permits
- Get European health insurance cards
- Have you passport checked and sent
- Organise Electronic System for Travel Authorisation (ESTA)
- Top up you mobile phone
- Buy a range of products, from international phone cards to souvenir stamps
Where can I find the major Post Office branches in Central London?
There are a number of Post Office branches in London, all of which offer the same range of services. Main branches can be found in these in Central London locations:
- Baker Street – convenient for Madame Tussauds
- Trafalgar Square – near to the National Gallery, the National Portrait Gallery and many West End theatres
- Camden – the closest branch to the Camden Markets
- Eccleston Street – this is the branch to use if you are using Victoria Coach or Railway Stations
- London Bridge – The Shard and Borough Market are both near this branch
- Kensington High Street – whether shopping in Kensington or checking out Kensington Palace, this is the branch you’ll need
- Oxford Street – for when you’re shopping in Central London
- Marchmont Street – close to the British Museum, plus Euston station
- King's Cross – St. Pancras International station and King’s Cross station are directly across the road
- Lower Regent Street – this Post Office branch is very close to Buckingham Palace, the West End theatres of Piccadilly Circus and Leicester Square, and the National Gallery in Trafalgar Square
Find more Post Office branches in London.