Venue Details & Map
The Walmer Castle
58 Ledbury RoadNotting HillLondonW11 2AJ
- +44 (0)20 7229 4620
- Public transport:
- Westbourne Park, Underground
We went there as is still states on the net that they have a Thai restaurant upstairs, it's closed which we were told by a sulky bar man. The general issue is the service is so bad and the staff barely speak English which is frustrating you're trying to ask them to clear the table and they literally have no clue what you're saying. They bring two napkins to a table of four people dining and...more
Meh. Beer pricey. Standard chain menu. So for 20 quid, I had very dry pie (used 1 pint to wash it down) with a slab of mashed and the most embarrassed collection of vegetables ever collected on a plate. 30 minutes later, I felt I should kick myself because around the corner and down the block is Cock and Bottle and the menu looked good there.
Staff was fine.more
While the Walmer Castle never quite made it to the top of my list of favourite pubs with Thai kitchen, it's always been a reliable choice of go-to places. It must have been a while though since my last visit as a special trip this Bank Holiday Monday was a major disappointment.
Bad enough seeing the Cock & Bottle down the road boarded up, but where were the crowds usually spilling out of the...more
You need to try lots of pubs when looking for a prospective local.
As nice and civilised as the Walmer Castle was, it was just a bit blah, a bit expensive and well... it was nice.
Nothing more, nothing less.more
1. It's got a castle in the name. Sit upstairs. 4 stars.
2. The food is friggin delicious. 4 stars.
3. I went there with this really cool black dude with an awesome British accent who worked for some secret financial institution or something. 4 stars.
4. Overall - 4 stars. If you're in this charming neighborhood and want to forget that it's also the name of a Julia Roberts movie before...more