All Saints' Church, a grade II* listed building, was built on land donated by Earl Spencer, and consecrated in April 1874. The building was a collaboration between the architect George Street (1824-1881) and the designers Sir Edward Burne-Jones (1833-1898) and William Morris (1834-1896). The result being a fine example of a late Victorian Arts and Crafts church, with decoratively painted ceilings and beautiful stained glass windows. Morris & Co. made all but two of the windows (to the right of the east window). The fact that in the 1850s, Street was Morris's first architectural mentor, provides a particularly interesting context for the church's windows, indeed this is Street's only London church with stained glass by the Morris firm. The commission may possibly have been very welcome, coming as it did, at a time when Morris, Marshall, Faulkner & Co. (known as 'the Firm') was wound up, and renamed Morris & Co., with Morris as sole proprietor.
This content has been supplied by All Saints Church
All Saints Church, Putney Common, London, SW15 1HL
For More Information:
+44 (0)796 459 3879