A hidden jewel in the heart of London, stands in quiet Tudor splendour beside its modern neighbour, The Barbican. It was founded as a Carthusian Monastery in 1371 by Sir Walter de Manny, a friend of the Black Prince. Following this the property came into aristocratic ownership.
Thomas Sutton then bought the Charterhouse and endowed it as a school and almshouse. It is still home to 47 gentlemen who all have their own accommodation. Tours emphasise the Royal connection, and include the Great Chamber, the Great Hall, the Norfolk Cloisters and the Chapel.
This content has been supplied by Charterhouse Square
Venue Details & Map
Charterhouse SquareLondonEC1M 6AN
- +44 (0)20 7253 9503
- Public transport:
- Tube/Rail: Barbican;Tube/Rail: Waterloo then bus 4