It is 150 years since the first museum was planned for Twickenham. Thomas Twining, a member of the famous family of tea merchants, promoted the building of a technical museum with an educational purpose. This was opened in 1860 and was manned by volunteers. It was destroyed by fire in 1871 and was not rebuilt. Between 1897 and 1922 the private collections of the Duc d'Orleans and Sir Ratan Tata, the Indian industrialist and philanthropist. In 1993 the Twickenham Museum became a Registered Charity. It later inherited no 25 The Embankment, Twickenham, the property which is the museum.
This content has been supplied by The Twickenham Museum
The Embankment, Twickenham, Middlesex, TW1 3DU
For More Information:
+44 (0)20 8408 0070