Langthorne Park was opened on 17th June 2000. The park derives its name from the Stratford-Langthorne Abbey, founded in 1135 and which owned 1500 acres of local farmland. It was on some of this land that the West Ham Union Workhouse was built in 1842 to provide 'relief to the poor'. It housed up to 1000 inmates from the surrounding areas of Walthamstow, Leyton, Stratford and West Ham. The park features a number of specially commissioned art features enhancing both the physical environment of the park as well as providing visual representations of the site's long history.
This content has been supplied by Langthorne Park
Birch Grove, London, E11 4YG
For More Information:
+44 (0)20 8496 3000