The weather in London becomes cooler in October as summer turns into autumn.
Admire the riot of autumnal colours as the city's parks change from vivid greens to warm coppers, golds and russet reds. Take a trip to Kew Gardens or Richmond Park, London's largest open space, to see this beautiful display of colours.
October events in London
London food festivals in October
- Explore London's top restaurants and meet celebrity chefs during the month-long London Restaurant Festival, offering special one-off menus and food-themed events. 1-31 Oct
- Sample classic and original new mixes during London Cocktail Week, with events, discounts and tastings across the city. 2-8 Oct
- Experience Erdinger's traditional Oktoberfest from Germany, featuring singing, dancing, Bratwurst sausages and plenty of German beer in Greenwich. 5-22 Oct
- Surround yourself with all things chocolate at the delicious Chocolate Show at Olympia London. 13-15 Oct
Free October events in London
- Take a stroll through a free outdoor art exhibition at the Frieze Sculpture park in Regent's Park. Until 8 Oct
- Celebrate the cultural diversity of London this month with Africa on the Square and Diwali Festival in Trafalgar Square. 14 and 15 Oct
- Watch an outdoor fusion of dance, music and projections with Blood Rite, which reflects the horror of the Roman arena, as part of the Londinium season of Roman events. 20-21 Oct
Art and culture in October
- View and buy contemporary art or historical gems at Frieze London and Frieze Masters art fairs in Regent's Park. 5-8 Oct
- Spot some of the biggest names in the movie industry and see the latest film releases at the BFI London Film Festival. 4-15 Oct
- Watch contemporary dance performances choreographed by artists from around the world during the Dance Umbrella festival. 11-28 Oct
- Explore history, art and heritage after dark in museums and galleries across the city during October's Museums at Night. 26-28 Oct
- Be one of the first to see the long-awaited Harry Potter: A History of Magic exhibition at the British Library, which reveals the origins of the myths and magic behind the story. From 20 Oct
- Find more lively cultural events during London's Autumn Season.
Halloween in London
London celebrates Halloween on and around 31 October with an array of themed events, from family activities at museums, to spooky London tours and frightening events. Take a look at what's on this Halloween in London.
October sports events and activities
- Get a taste of American sport and spectacle as London hosts a series of NFL games. 1, 22 and 29 Oct
- Make your way to Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park to catch both the World Taekwondo Grand Prix and World Para Taekwondo Championships. 19-22 Oct
- Join the cycling party as the world's best professional riders compete to the sounds of top musicians and DJs during Six Day London. 24-29 Oct
- Take to the ice on one of the first outdoor ice rink to open in London for the winter season at the Natural History Museum. From 26 Oct
For more things to do in October in London, take a look at our events calendar and guide to what's on in London. And catch the best of the London stage this month with our roundup of top October shows.
WEATHER: For average seasonal temperatures and rainfall, see our London Weather page.
Sign up for our monthly enewsletter for year-round updates about what's on in London.