Top Play Fountains
1) Make a splash in the 1,080 fountains in Granary Square
, an attractive courtyard in King’s Cross.
3) Enjoy a paddle in the More London Riverside fountains next to The Scoop
, while soaking up the view of Tower Bridge.
5) Try to predict the next move of Jeppe Hein’s Appearing Rooms Fountain at Southbank Centre, outside Queen Elizabeth Hall
6) Touch a four-and-a-half-billion-year-old meteorite in the Planetarium & Astronomy Centre at the Royal Observatory Greenwich
8) Visit the Science Museum
to ogle the Command Module of Apollo 10, a spacecraft that went around the moon in 1969.
9) Learn about how people used to live in olden times by peering into the miniature world of historic dolls’ houses at the V&A Museum of Childhood
11) Gen up on modern art at Tate Modern
’s dedicated Family Zone.
12) Let your imagination run wild at the Discover Children’s Story Centre
Free Things To Do For Children
13) Be wowed by the street entertainers in Covent Garden
14) Hold a bar of gold at the Bank of England Museum
20) See Tower Bridge
open from the bank of the river Thames.
Travel With Kids
21) Soar above the river Thames in the Emirates Air Line cable car
and enjoy great views of London.
22) Sit at the front of a driverless Docklands Light Railway
train to pretend you’re driving it!
23) Climb aboard a classic Concorde and enjoy a virtual "flight" at the Brooklands Museum
26) Cruise along the river Thames on a City Cruises
27) Step aboard Europe's largest preserved WW2 warship, HMS Belfast
28) Discover what life was like on board the legendary sailing ship Cutty Sark
29) Hop aboard a miniature railway in Brockwell Park
(every Sunday from March until October).
31) Explore The Golden Hinde
, a full-scale reconstruction of Sir Francis Drake’s famous sailing galleon.
32) See cars from the James Bond films at the London Film Museum
Blow Your Mind
33) Stand astride two hemispheres on the Prime Meridian Line at Royal Observatory Greenwich
34) Feast on a delicious ice cream frozen with liquid nitrogen at Chin Chin Labs
Fun for Little Ones
35) Sit on a magic carpet while enjoying the National Gallery’s weekly storytelling sessions for kids aged from two to five.
36) Feast on a scrumptious ice cream, gelato or sorbet at one of London’s top ice cream parlours
39) Stuff yourself with cupcakes, brownies and macaroons at one of these cake shops.
41) Enjoy jigsaw-shaped sandwiches and more at the Children’s Afternoon Tea with Hamleys at the Langham
42) On a budget? Have a picnic in one of London’s Royal Parks.
Activities for Teenagers
43) Scare yourself silly by delving into the capital’s dark and bloody history at the London Dungeon
44) Head down into the underground headquarters that sheltered Churchill and his wartime government during the Blitz at Churchill War Rooms
47) Enjoy an exhilarating ride down the river Thames on a speedboat tour
48) See Napoleon’s toothbrush and Darwin’s walking stick at the Wellcome Collection
49) Take a trip into the haunted tunnels of London’s famous bridge at the terrifying London Bridge Experience
50) Explore ancient woodland in Epping Forest
52) Get lost in Hampton Court Palace’s
Action-packed Things To Do
53) Stroll along a soaring treetop walkway at Kew Gardens.
55) Race to the top of Primrose Hill
where you’ll be rewarded with panoramic views of London.
57) Swim in the wake of champions at the Aquatics Centre
, which hosted swimming and diving events during the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games.
58) Over 10s can enjoy an exhilarating expedition over the roof of the O2 with Up at the O2
59) Enjoy a refreshing dip in one of London’s gorgeous lidos
61) Hire a pedalo or a rowing boat on the Serpentine Lake in Hyde Park
62) Have hours of fun at Coram’s Fields
, a seven-acre park and playground in Holborn.
For Film Buffs
63) Visit the locations from the Harry Potter films and books with our guide to Harry Potter’s London
66) Enjoy the world’s most immersive movie experience at the Science Museum’s IMAX 3D cinema
Big-hitter Family Attractions
67) Rub shoulders with the rich and famous at wax figure museum Madame Tussauds
69) Try out more than 60 professions through role-play adventures at KidZania.
70) Get a taste for the high life on the Coca-Cola London Eye
71) Get up close to lions, tigers and penguins at ZSL London Zoo
77) Go deer-spotting in Richmond Park
Theatre for Kids
78) See a puppet show in a watery setting at the magical Puppet Theatre Barge
79) Be wowed by one of these top London shows for kids
82) Learn all about the Bard on a tour of Shakespeare’s Globe Theatre.
83) Get your skates on at one of these pop-up Christmas ice skating rinks
84) See polar bears made of ice at the Magical Ice Kingdom at Hyde Park’s Winter Wonderland
86) Shout “he’s behind you” at one of London’s hilarious pantomimes.
87) Soak up the festive atmosphere in Covent Garden
88) Find toys galore in London’s most famous toyshop, Hamleys
89) Visit the world's largest sweet shop at M&M’s World
in Leicester Square.
Quirky Things To Do
90) Marvel at everything from shrunken human heads to the world’s tallest man at Ripley’s Believe It or Not! London.
92) Roam among the world's oldest life-size dinosaur sculptures at Crystal Palace Park
93) Step inside the London home of the world’s most famous detective at the Sherlock Holmes Museum
94) Go mudlarking outside Gabriel’s Wharf
, where you can dig around for ancient clay pipes and bits of pottery.
98) Marvel at a jar crammed full of moles at the Grant Museum of Zoology
Thrills and Spills
99) Whizz down the UK’s tallest public artwork with a 40-second ride on the tallest and longest tunnel slide in the world at ArcelorMittal Orbit
100) Enjoy a zip wire treetop adventure at Go Ape Battersea
101) Take a trip to one of London’s theme parks
for an adrenalin-packed day out.