Make the school summer holidays memorable by enjoying interactive exhibitions, children’s theatre shows and kid-friendly museums.
From magical gardens to creative workshops, there are loads of brilliant things to do in London during the kids’ school summer holidays 2017. Whether you’ve got little ones or teenagers to keep entertained, we’ve rounded up summer holiday activities for all ages to enjoy.
More children’s holiday activities will be added as they are announced, so check back later for more ideas.
Summer Holiday 2017 Events in London
- Discover the secrets of the sea’s giants at the Natural History Museum’s exhibition Whales: Beneath the Surface. Until 28 Feb
- Peer inside Harry Potter's wardrobe with the Wizarding Wardrobes special feature at the Warner Bros. Studio Tour London. Until 4 Sep
- Come face to face with a herd of life-size, moving dinosaurs at ZSL London Zoo's Zoorassic Park. Until 3 Sep
- Visit the Queen’s London home, as Buckingham Palace opens its doors for the summer months. Until 1 Oct
- Take a trip back in time to Tudor and Stuart courts in an immersive and interactive family guided tour of The Lost Palace. Until 5 Sep
- See a parade of young performers in colourful costumes dance and swirl through the streets on Notting Hill Carnival’s Family Day. 27 Aug
- Mingle with hundreds of fluttering butterflies in the Natural History Museum’s Sensational Butterflies tropical house. Until 17 Sep
- Escape the city in Bompas & Parr’s free immersive experience Future Forest at Westfield London. 15-28 Aug
- Pick the tour that suits your family best and take part in free activities during the Houses of Parliament's Family Festival. 16-17 Aug
- Spend an afternoon at the Battersea Power Station summer festival, featuring a pop-up beach, roller discos, music, offers and more. Until 1 Sep
- Follow the career of author Michael Morpurgo and see the original horse puppet from the West End show War Horse in the V&A Museum of Childhood's new exhibition. Until 25 Feb
- Find more budget-friendly family summer activities with our guide to free things to do in London with kids.
Things to Do with Teenagers this Summer Holiday
- See a thrilling re-enactment of Gladiator Games on the site of London’s only Roman Amphitheatre. 25-28 Aug
- Explore what led to the death of 129 men in the Arctic with Death in the Ice: The Shocking Story of Franklin’s Final Exhibition at the National Maritime Museum. Until 7 Jan
- Whizz down the world's fastest city zip wire with Zip World in South Bank. Until 1 Oct
- See Churchill’s onesie at wartime underground bunker Churchill War Rooms.
- Make the Ultimate Aqua Splash in the Olympic Park’s London Aquatics Centre with indoor inflatable slides and an assault course. Until 4 Sep
- Gen-up on urban progress at the Museum of London’s The City is Ours exhibition this school summer holiday. Until 2 Jan
- Take a ride down the UK’s tallest public artwork on The Slide at the ArcelorMittal Orbit.
- For more school holiday ideas, take a look at our 101 things to do in London with teens.
Summer School Holiday Activities for Young Children
- Admire amazing Lego sculptures of DC superheroes at South Bank's The Art of the Brick exhibition. Until 4 Sep
- Bounce around a giant inflatable castle, slide and assault course, before relaxing on the inland beach at Lee Valley White Water Centre’s Beach & Play Park. Until 1 Oct
- Turn Transport Detective to track down the owner and origin of an intriguing lost-property item at the London Transport Museum. Until 11 Aug
- Meet meerkats and enjoy toboggan rides at Lee Valley Park Farms. Until 3 Sep
- Look for mythical beasts and discover a secret grotto in the Magic Garden at Hampton Court Palace. Until 29 Oct
- Flick through Ladybird Books and enjoy more activities in the family corner of the Royal Academy's exhibition on the wildlife artist Charles Tunnicliffe. Until 8 Oct
- Become pirates for the day on a huge wooden pirate ship at the Diana, Princess of Wales Memorial Playground.
Family Shows in London
- Get a free child ticket to popular theatre shows with a full-price adult ticket during Kids Week 2017 this summer school holiday. Until 31 Aug
- Enjoy an outdoor production of The Wind in the Willows, set against the magical backdrop of Kew Gardens’ lake. Until 28 Aug
- See a family show at the Underbelly Festival in South Bank, such as Metta Theatre’s circus and dance production Jungle Book. Until 30 Sep
- Enjoy a family-friendly planetarium show at the Royal Observatory Greenwich.
- Keep little ones entertained during the school summer holidays in London with these family-friendly theatre shows.
Family-friendly Hotels and Restaurants in London
- Find children’s menus and fun activities at these kid-friendly restaurants.
- With great access to top London attractions, discover where to stay in London with kids.
- Enjoy the luxury of your own private space in a self-catering apartment.
- Find cots and babysitting services at these top London family hotels.