Make the most of the first day of 2017 with these New Year’s Day events and activities in London.
Things to Do on New Year’s Day in London
New Year's Day Parade
The highlight of the New Year’s Day celebrations in London is the New Year’s Day Parade, which sees more than 8,000 dancers, acrobats, musicians and performers fill the parade route and hundreds of thousands of spectators line the streets to witness the event.
New Year's Day Activities
Many of London’s iconic attractions and most popular activities can be enjoyed on 1 January. Always check opening times in advance:
- Take a stroll in one of London’s parks.
- Watch a best-selling West End musical.
- Visit one of the capital’s famous museums and attractions.
- Hit the shops at London’s shopping centres, department stores and main shopping areas to make the most of the January sales.
- Head over to Winter Wonderland in Hyde Park or one of the city’s many ice rinks.
New Year's Day After Dark
As night draws in, there's still plenty to do on New Year's Day:
- Spot the Christmas lights still on display.
- Enjoy a festive show.
- Explore London on a special twilight New Year’s Day tour.
- Throw some shapes at a New Year’s Day club night.
- Relax with friends and family in one of the capital’s best cosy pubs.
New Year’s Day London Travel Advice
Public transport is more limited on New Year’s Day; check the TFL Journey Planner for travel details.
If you are staying in London over the festive period, make sure to also take a look at our essential information.